I recently installed Fedora 24 XFCE on my brand new Entroware Apollo, a Linux friendly laptop. Here is a list of problems I encountered during my first week of use. While most of these problems had a solution with a bit of googling, non-tech savvy person would have severe problems solving them.
- System completely hangs when I connect a second monitor. Unresolved.
- Could not see any WiFi networks because the interface was not managed. Had to make it managed in NetworkManager.conf manually.
- At some point, XFCE panel would not show up anymore and I got an error message on startup asking me to start the panel. Solved it by deleting .config folder. What the hell?
- No login prompt when laptop comes out of suspend, even though I have both option in power management and session settings turned on. Unresolved.
- Adding programs to favorites in Whiskers menu sometimes does not persist across reboots. I think esepcially when I did a hard reset due to issue #1.
- My Nexus 4 would not automount in Thunar over USB. After an hour of Googling and installing random packages I got it to work, I think?
- Numix theme on XFCE is extremely nice, I love it. There is just one small bug so far in Volume widget, the selection color hides the slider completely.
- My FreeNAS was automatically detected by Thunar while the old Gnome-files setup would not show it and even refuse to mount it sometimes manually. A nice surprise.
- I like how you can fully customize XFCE panels. The only thing I actually couldn’t do is completely hide the panel (there is like a 3px grey bar when the panel is hidden). Other than that it’s super nice.
- Fedy is super nice. Props to it’s maintainers, it all just works.
So basically, everything kinda works now but it was a bumpy road to achieve this. Hopefully I get some feedback on issue #1 in Fedora bug tracker because it’s really severe.Cen